Try as I might, I can’t seem to reduce my electric bills. I’m hoping you will have some suggestions on how to cut back on my electricity usage! I feel like I am already doing the standard tricks necessary to lower energy consumption, so I would love some creative tips.
Things I am already doing:
- Turning off all lights when not in use
- Turning off the drobo when not in use (I have a little trouble remembering to do this, and wish there was some sort of timer function)
- Unplugging battery and phone chargers when not in use, as well as other appliances that I use rarely, such as the dvd player
Things I am currently trying:
- Running the dishwasher on “air-dry” instead of “heat dry” whenever possible
- Hang-drying all laundry. I’m putting the towels and other potentially “scratchy” items in the dryer for 10 minutes when they are nearly completely dry and just slightly damp. This trick seems to work pretty well!
Things I would like to try:
- Energy efficient light-bulbs
One of the problems is that we have an inefficient washing machine, drying and dishwasher. Since we are only renting, we had no input on the appliances and have to live with what’s here. I’m hoping that my attempts at hang-drying the laundry and air-drying the dishes will help decrease the bill.
Please, any other suggestions would be much appreciated!